Members: Private Colleges & Universities
University of Portland
The University of Portland, an independently governed Catholic university guided by the Congregation of Holy Cross, addresses significant questions of human concern through disciplinary and interdisciplinary studies of the arts, sciences, and humanities and through studies in majors and professional programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. As a diverse community of scholars dedicated to excellence and innovation, we pursue teaching and learning, faith and formation, service and leadership in the classroom, residence halls, and the world.
- For the 22nd consecutive year, UP has received a top-ten ranking among all western regional colleges by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
- UP was named the best college in Oregon for value by MONEY magazine for 2016-17.
- A 2016 survey by BusinessInsider.com ranked UP as the top university in Oregon for alumni who “go on to earn the most money” ten years after enrolling in classes.
- UP is ranked 3rd in the nation among master’s level institutions for the number of students awarded prestigious Fulbright grants according to the Chronicle of Higher Education. In 2016-17, six students were awarded the grant to study or teach abroad.
- Seventeen buildings have been built or had extensive renovations since 2007 and construction on a new academic center that will be called Dundon-Berchtold Hall, is scheduled to begin in summer 2017.
- Undergraduate: 3,762
- Graduate/Professional: 517
- Tuition (2016-17): $41,844
- Room & Board (2016-17): $12,138
Financial Aid Data
- Percentage of Students Receiving Financial Aid: 65.8%
- Average Financial Aid Package (without loans): $29,493
- Average Financial Aid Package (with need-based loans):
- Percent Need Met (Need-Based Aid): 73%
- Total Living: 37,100
- Percent Living in Oregon: 41%
- Male: 41%
- Female: 59%
- Resident (Oregon) Students: 29%
- Nonresident Students: 71%
- Number of Undergraduate Majors: 39
- Number of Minors/Concentration Fields: 32
Most Popular Majors
- Mechanical Engineering
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 16:1
- Class Size of 20 of Less Students: 34%
- Class Size of 50 of Less Students: 99%
- Full-time Faculty: 63%
- Full-time Faculty with PhD/Terminal Degree: 96%
Athletics and Intramural Activity
- Athletic Division: NCAA Division I (West Coast Conference)
- Percentage of Students Participating in Sport Activities/Intramurals: 49%
- Number of Student Clubs & Organizations: 97